Raspberry chocolate fool is a simple, four ingredient dessert which is as light and nutritious as it is tasty. It feels creamy and decadent. Yet, this is one dessert that’s incredibly healthy.
With Valentine’s Day rapidly approaching, I had to confront the fact that my husband and I are still fighting to lose the holiday bulge. Nonetheless, a romantic holiday like Valentine’s Day calls for a sweet finish.
I also happen to associate chocolate — because of its richness — and raspberries — because they’re red — with Valentine’s Day. So, I really wanted to make something sweet — with chocolate and raspberries — that was still healthy.
Fortunately, I tripped across a recipe for whipped cream made with coconut cream. So, a coconut cream fruit fool seemed like the obvious solution to my dessert woes!
I love fruit fools. The cream’s richness contrasts beautifully with the tartness of the fresh fruit, and chocolate makes everything better. For me, a small dose of fruit fool is an elegant (and easy) end to an exquisite meal.
About this Recipe
This recipe is simply whipped coconut cream, with a little sugar, cocoa powder and fresh raspberries. A four ingredient recipe where the result is greater than the sum of its parts.
What I never would have imagined is that the coconut blends beautifully with the cocoa and enhances — rather than altering — its flavour. The resulting dessert is gorgeously rich and stress-free. It comes together in mere minutes and is certain to delight your Valentine, or anyone else who is lucky enough to snag a bit.
As in any simple recipe, you will want to be very careful about the quality of your ingredients — as diners will taste each and every one. Use the very best quality cocoa powder you can afford. Be very careful about your coconut cream as well. In my experience, inexpensive coconut creams have less cream and tend to have off flavours.
Other than that, this recipe is as easy as whipping cream. I hope your loved ones enjoy this dessert as much as mine do. Bon appétit!
Decadent, Dairy-Free Raspberry Chocolate Fool
This is an exquisite dessert that comes together in just 5 minutes. It is decadently delicious, yet incredibly healthy and low in sugar. Perfect for entertaining!
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, plus additional berries for garnish
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 400 ml can coconut cream, chilled
- Step 1 Place raspberries, sugar, and cocoa powder in a blender jug or the work bowl of a food processor, fitted with the steel blade. Pulse until the mixture is well combined. Then, leave the motor running for a few minutes to grind the fruit as finely as possible. Set the puree aside.
- Step 2 Remove the solids from the chilled can of cocoa cream, leaving the coconut water behind in the tin. Place the solid cream in the work bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the wire whisk attachment. Whisk until light and fluffy.
- Step 3 Slowly pour in the pureed raspberries while the motor is running. Continue whipping until the mixture is thoroughly combined and cohesive.
- Step 4 Pour mixture into a tightly sealed container and keep in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Step 5 Serve cold, garnished with fresh raspberries
- This fool also makes divine popsicles, and can be frozen in an ice cream machine for a fluffy cold dessert. If you choose to freeze the mixture, do add 2 Tablespoons of liqueur or vodka to the mixture. This addition will help it stay smooth and creamy.
- Caster sugar is a finer grind of white sugar. If you live in the United States, where standard sugar is ground finer than in other countries, normal white sugar should work just fine.