This guilt free piña colada sorbet is a light, refreshing dessert or palate cleanser. It’s light enough for the hottest of days and 100% refreshing.
In recent years, we’ve all become more aware of the impact of a balanced diet on our overall health. Like many people, I tend to avoid sugary treats. However, I still enjoy a good dessert once in a while! For me, desserts that rely on the natural sweetness of fruit are ideal.
So, since I happen to love fresh pineapple, I decided to make a sorbet with it. Being raw, piña colada sorbet retains all the fibre, vitamins, and minerals of the natural fruit. Better yet, both pineapple and coconut milk are nutritional powerhouses. So, this dessert is actually incredibly good for your health.
Nutritional Benefits of Fresh Pineapple
I love pineapple’s natural sweetness. However, until I started researching this recipe, I had no idea it was such a healthy choice. A few of the benefits of eating fresh pineapple are:
- Immune System: Each serving contains over 130% of your daily requirement of vitamin C, which supports healthy heart function and helps your body fight off diseases such as cold and flu. In addition, the enzyme bromelain helps to reduce mucus production in the throat and nose.
- Bones: A serving of pineapple provides you with 75% of the daily requirement for manganese, a mineral which helps keep your bones healthy and strong.
- Eyes: The powerful anti-oxidants in pineapple stave off macular degeneration, helping to keep your eyes bright and healthy.
- Digestion: Both fibre and the unique enzyme bromelain help keep your digestive system active and healthy. Bromelain actually helps to break down animal proteins which are difficult for the body to digest.
- Anti-Inflammatory: More studies are needed. However, preliminary research indicates that bromelain is a powerful anti-inflammatory that has the potential to reduce tumor growth.
Nutritional Benefits of Coconut Milk
Adding coconut milk gives the sorbet its natural richness and also packs a nutritional punch. I love the creamy goodness of coconut milk. It gives you the impression of eating something incredibly naughty while it is actually very good for you. Health benefits of coconut milk include:
- Heart Health: Lauric acid in coconut milk has been proven to support healthy cholesterol levels and a healthy heart. In addition, coconut milk supports healthy circulation which helps lower blood pressure.
- Weight Management: Natural fatty acids in coconut milk help you burn more calories and build lean muscle mass. These same natural fats also keep you feeling full for longer and reduce the temptation to snack.
- Electrolytes: Coconut milk contains electrolytes which help you stay hydrated and prevent cramps.
Now that you understand how healthy this dessert is, you know it’s unnecessary to use low fat coconut milk. Normal coconut milk keeps the sorbet creamier and improves the flavour significantly. So, please don’t get tempted to cut the fat.
Like any simple recipe, success depends on using the very best ingredients you can find and afford. Go for very fresh, ripe pineapple when you find it. I like to cut mine up and store it in the freezer in 500 gram portions. That way, I can whip out a can of coconut milk and a bag of pineapple and have dessert on the table in a matter of minutes!
Buy the very best coconut milk you can afford. I’ve noticed that some tinned coconut milks have off flavours. The fresher and better your coconut milk, the more you will enjoy the sorbet.
I hope your family appreciates this dessert as much as mine does. Bon appétit!
This guilt-free, no-churn Piña Colada sorbet is a refreshing and satisfying dessert. Best of all? It comes together in mere minutes and is 100% dairy free. The rum not only adds flavour, it also cuts down on the ice crystals in this sorbet. You could substitute a teaspoon or two of rum extract for the actual rum. However, your sorbet will have a greater tendency to crystallise. This sorbet also makes delicious popsicles. Simply pack the sorbet into popsicle molds and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
This guilt-free, no-churn Piña Colada sorbet is a refreshing and satisfying dessert. Best of all? It comes together in mere minutes and is 100% dairy free.
The rum not only adds flavour, it also cuts down on the ice crystals in this sorbet. You could substitute a teaspoon or two of rum extract for the actual rum. However, your sorbet will have a greater tendency to crystallise.
This sorbet also makes delicious popsicles. Simply pack the sorbet into popsicle molds and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.