Our homemade seasoning blend makes these delicious Mediterranean chicken skewers an easy, light treat from the grill. Add a dollop of healthy, low fat tzatziki to complement the skewers without spoiling your diet! A delicious, satisfying dish the entire family is sure to love.
It’s winter here in Johannesburg and the temperatures have been chilly. However, conversely, the colder it gets the more I crave meals from the grill. Somehow, the very act of stepping outside to cook food over the fire makes me feel like summer might not be so far off after all. Fortunately, there are lots of healthy, low fat options one can rustle up outdoors, including these delicious Mediterranean chicken skewers with tzatziki!
Despite the short ingredient list, these Mediterranean chicken skewers pack a big flavour punch! I like to toss them in the fridge the night before. Then, let them come to room temperature and prepare the sauce while the grill is heating. It’s a quick, tasty meal that’s on the table in under an hour.
Using boneless, skinless thighs keeps the skewers light without compromising on juiciness or flavour. Serving Mediterranean chicken skewers with low fat tzatziki gives the meal a rich, creamy finish and adds a dose of healthy probiotics to the plate.
About the Recipe
Personally, I like to cook these skewers on the grill, because it adds an additional layer of flavour. However, you could just as easily prepare them indoors on a grill pan.
For a vegan option, try using the exact same seasoning mix on skewers of your favourite veggies. Trust me, they’ll be absolutely delicious.
If you’re using bamboo skewers, as I do, remember to soak them in a dish of water for at least 30 minutes before threading the chicken onto them. Wooden skewers can easily burn on a hot grill and a bonfire won’t help you get dinner on the table!
Most of all, I hope your family enjoys these satisfying skewers every bit as much as mine does. Bon appétit!
Mediterranean Chicken Skewers with Light Tzatziki
Seasoned with the bright flavours of lemon, herbs, and olive oil. These quick, easy chicken skewers make for a healthy supper. Paired with a rich tasting, yet healthy tzatziki sauce, Mediterranean chicken skewers taste like a decadent treat!
- 700 g (1 lb 8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 15)
- 2 Tablespoons Fragrant Mediterranean BBQ Seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- For the Tzatziki
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated on the small holes of a box grater
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Step 1 Cut the chicken thighs into 3 pieces each. Place them in a large ziplock bag along with the seasoning mix, olive oil, and lemon juice. Press as much air as possible out of the bag and seal it. Then, massage the marinade into the meat until it is evenly distributed. Put it in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour and up to overnight.
- Step 2 When you light the coals, remove the chicken from the fridge and thread it onto skewers. I like to put about 5 pieces of chicken on each skewer. Set the skewers aside to come up to temperature.
- Step 3 Then, prepare the tzatziki. Mix the grated cucumber with the salt and leave in a strainer to drain for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, put the yogurt, garlic, olive oil and dill in a small bowl and whip them until thoroughly combined.
- Step 5 Once most of the water has drained out of the cucumber, you can add it to the yogurt mixture and stir to distribute evenly throughout. Taste for seasoning, and adjust, as necessary.
- Step 6 When the coals are hot, cook the skewers at 200 C (400 F) for 8 minutes, turning once.
- Step 7 Remove skewers from the grill. Tent with foil and allow the skewers to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving. Serve with tzatziki sauce on the side.